Saturday, May 31, 2008

Lit Seminar- Andra Dunlap

For my lit seminar, I read Waverly Jong- "Rules of the Game". The seminar went great and I want to thank everyone who participated. It moved along fast and almost everyone had something to say. My questions were easily answered, and the responses I got from my classmates were relevant and well thought out. I thought the responses to my questions were great, so I put my question and the class answers below.

My first question was: How do you think Waverly's mom would have reacted if Waverly lost a big match? If Waverly lost do you think she would have given up?
Everyone agreed that Waverly's mom would have been upset and disappointed. She would have been embarrassed also because she had bragged so much about Waverly that if she lost, her mom wouldn't know what to do. The class also said that Waverly's mom would be crushed because winning the chess matches became almost like her dream, in a way, and she was really proud of Waverly. Most of the class said that if Waverly lost a match, she would stop playing chess and get involved in something else. Other people said that Waverly would stop playing because her mom was the one pushing her to keep playing, and Waverly didn't care if she played or not. I think those are good answers, but I came up different answer. I thought that if Waverly lost, she would have not stopped playing, but instead think about what she did wrong, and try to improve her strategies.

My second question was: How would the plot be affected if Waverly never met Lao Po?
My classmates responded by saying that Waverly would have never gotten better. Before meeting Lao Po, Waverly would play with her brothers, who were beginners, and Waverly never learned much by playing with them. But after meeting Lao Po and seeing his strategies, she was able to pick up many things. Another person brought up the fact that if Waverly never met Lao Po, she would have not gotten into any competitons, changing the plot completely. I agree with all of these answers, and all of them give me a better understanding of the story.

2 comments:

Hermes said...

I agree with the class when they stated that the plot would have been greatly affected had Waverly not met Lao Po. This is becuas Waverly would not have learnes the "in and outs" of chess without him.
Also, i feel like chess in general affected her life in the fututre. Many desicions she made were based on her perspective from playing chess.

Narcissus said...

I think Waverly's life would have been a lot different if she had not met Lao Po. He taught her the tricks of the trade and taught her to listen and really concentrate on the game. I think chess gave Waverly a lot more confidence in her life and helped her solve problems using the strategy she uses in chess.