Tuesday, June 10, 2008

James Flanagan's Literary Seminar

For my literary seminar, I was assigned the chapter Double Face from the Jong stories in The Joy Luck Club. I focused on a section that highlighted the recurring similarities between the generations mentioned in the book. My first question was not answered as deeply as my second, but it is worth recording.
Throughout the book, the mothers and daughters have had different views on the similarities. Identify some of these views of the likeness and how the second in the pair (the daughter) is affected by it.
I received varying answers on how the daughters dealt with the likeness. Waverly Jong defies her mother and ignores the likenesses. June Woo takes up her mother's quest to return to China. Most of the daughters are ashamed of their heritage, but all can learn from it.
In this story, Lindo share some laughs with An-mei over the American-produced "Chinese" fortunes. How is this ironic when taking into consideration the main conflict of the book? (the differences and perceptions of American and Chinese ways, traditions, and peoples)
This question was answered with the responses that I had planned and more. I had expected someone to say that this was ironic because the fortunes were American-made Chinese, sort of an artificial Chinese, just like the daughters had become. Bridget and Alyson pointed this out. However, Kyle took this a step further and said that Lindo and An-mei were making their Chinese fortunes in America by making Chinese fortunes in America. This is an excellent play on words, and I applaud Kyle for recognizing this. Bravo!
In any case, I learned from the seminar how the similarities between the mothers and daughters had affected not only my own family, but the St. Clairs, Woos, and Hsus as well. It helped give me a more vast understanding for the book s we wrapped up. Thank you to everyone who participated in the seminar, and good-night.

1 comment:

Hercules said...

I agreed a lot with the response to the first and second question. In the first question, Waverly refuses and ignores the similarities between her and her mother. I am surprised that there was no comment on the same nose, how this is proof on the similary, even though waverly refuses to see it. But, i definitely agree that all of the girls are almost "ashamed of their heritige".