Sunday, June 1, 2008

Katherine Fila's Lit Seminar Feedback

At first I wasn't sure how my lit seminar class activity would go. But, after I went on Friday, I really liked it. I liked the feeling of being in control of the class, while still getting feedback and having debates. My second question tied in really nicely with Charlie's questions, so I was content with only asking one question. My question was, "Why do you think June's mother was so upset when she didn't do well at the recital? Was she living vicariously through her daughter?" I think this was my favorite questions out fo the two, because it was specific and the class knew exactly how to answer. My favorite response to this question was Lisa's. She comparedthe old, deaf paino teacher to June's mother being deaf to her own hopes and dreams. This analogy had never occurred to me before, so I really appreciated this comment.

1 comment:

Persephone said...

I thought this seminar was very effective. I really liked your question about Suyuan living vicariously through June because while I was reading that didn't really occur to me, and I had just thought she was like a parent who wanted to brag about their child. The class's responses to this question really helped me see that June's mother was trying to achieve all she had not been able to achieve when she was younger through her daughter. Lisa also made a really good point which gave me new insight on the mother-daughter relationship.