Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Madeline Turrini's Lit. Seminar

I was very surprised by the fact that the majority of the discussion was on one of my literary devices, being the connotation that follows the word, "fault."  The majority of the group said that while Lindo felt like she had wronged her daughter in a way, she was also taking pride in her creation.  They also felt that Lindo ignored her similarities to Waverly and thought of them as a joke.
As for the questions I asked, I received very mixed responses.  When I was comparing the language barrier between the Jongs and the St. Claires, some people in the group believed that it barely affected the Jongs at all, while a few other students and I said that it distanced Ying Ying and her husband while it strengthened the bond between Lindo and her husband.
While discussing the significance of the beauty parlor, I was surprised by how it was compared to Friar Lawrence's cell in Romeo and Juliet.  The group talked about how both locations were catalysts and how the thought of changing one's appearance irritated the mothers.  I had not thought of this and was pleasantly surprised.

1 comment:

Hercules said...

I also would have never thought of the comparison to Romeo and Juliet.

However, i do not agree in the fact that the language barrier did not effect the Jongs at all because in certain circumstances (like in class today when we were discussing a passage for the commentary), Lindo and Waverly got into an argument. Lindo had written a word on the back of an envelope, but Waverly could not read Chinese, so she mixed up her words, which ended in her mother getting aggrivated. Having a language barrier would always have an affect, simply because of constant mis-understanding