Monday, June 2, 2008

Kate Furg's Lit seminar

I was really nervous in the beginning of my lit seminar because I was afraid I would not know what to say and I was first. I became comfortable with it and I really enjoyed doing it. It was a great why to hear how other people interpreted the story and it furthered my understanding of the chapter. I liked leading a conversation instead of sitting in class and always listening. My first question was; what do you think Ying-ying means when she says her daughter does not see or hear her anymore?
Generation gap and cultural gap came up quite often in the responses, which is good because this is what I thought the theme was. Someone said that Lena was making the same mistakes as her mother and that the two were so alike that they do not notice each others lifestyle. I really liked this answer. My second question was; how did Amah influence Ying-ying to keep her "mouth closed" and her "true nature hidden" in her later life?
Everyone answered this question very well. Most people said referred to the Chinese culture and how children were taught to keep there mouths shut and hit in their shadows. Everyone was on topic and I think my seminar went well.

2 comments:

Hephaestus said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Hephaestus said...

Good job, Kate! I thought your lit seminar went well also, and I really liked your questions. I would completely agree that the generational and cultural differences between the mothers and daughters are a huge theme in this book, even when the two are not even interacting. I also really liked the statement where children in Chinese culture were taught to be like their shadows: silent. I think this is interesting the way these expectations really shaped the way Ying-ying behaves.