Sunday, June 8, 2008

Sofie Guariglia Literary Seminar

I believe my literary seminar went well. Although the class did not immediately try and contribute to my questions, eventually they understood and helped me go in depth to my questions. My first question was:

They say "the apple doesn't fall far from the tree." Do you think Rose is like her mother in the sense that they both "[live their lives] like a dream?" At first I believe the class did not understand what the question was asking, but I explained how An-Mei Hsu described her life as a child like a dream and the class started to contribute. The class agreed, and thought that both Rose and An-Mei did not stand up for themselves, and their lives were lived like everyone else wanted them to be lived.

My second question was Do you think how An-Mei's mother was always in pain had anything to do with how An-Mei parented Rose? The class believed that because An-Mei always had to witness her mother depressed and suffering with her husband and his other wives, it had an effect on An-Mei. An-Mei tried her hardest to help her daughter, Rose, to live a great life by encouraging her to save the marriage. An-Mei tried to escape the pain her and her mother were living when she was a child, so when Rose is saying "I can't I can't" save the marriage, An-Mei steped in to make sure she is not just giving up, and giving Ted what he wants. The class also believed that because An-Mei and her mother never had a good relationship, An-Mei tried her hardest to keep a good one with Rose. Also, An-Mei left her little brother with her aunt when she went with her mother, and losing her son, Bing, felt a lot like that feeling. Ever since that day, An-Mei had been making even more of an effort to make their mother-daughter bond even stronger.

3 comments:

Hephaestus said...

I thought your lit seminar went well, too, good job! I felt like An-mei was trying to stop the suffering her mother went through from happening to her daughter. She mentions in the novel that her mother couldn't leave Wu Tsing because women in China simply couln't do that. However, in America, everyone is free and has a right to happiness. I think that when she encourages Rose to stand up for herself, it is not necessarily to save the marriage, but to save herself.

Narcissus said...

You did a great job on your Seminar! I agree with the response to the first question. Both of these women did not stand up for themselves and were pushed around by others opinions. This way of hiding is encouraged in the Chinese culture starting when the girls are young. An-Mei passed this trait down to her daughter, whether it was intentional or not, causing these two women to be very similar. I do not think An- Mei realizes how similar she is to her mother.

Hercules said...

I agree a lot with the class response to the second question because when something doesn't go right the first time, you will try your best to fix it. An-Mei learned from the mistakes made by her and her mother through growing up, that not that it is her turn, she will try to make it not such a failing relationship.