Sunday, October 14, 2007

Aurora's Bio


My name is Aurora. I am the goddess of the dawn, and I have a brother, Sol or Helios (the sun), and a sister, Luna or Selene (the moon). My sons are the four winds: north, south, east, and west. I am sometimes shown riding in a golden chariot drawn by winged horses and other times, I have been shown flying with my own pair of wings. I rise up into the sky from the Okeanos river at the start of each day, and my rays of light disperse the mist at night. It's true that I am not the smartest goddess. I asked Zeus to grant immortality to one of my many husbands, Tithonus, who was a mortal. Zeus granted my wish, however I failed to ask him for eternal youth. Tithonus aged eternally and turned into a grasshopper. Although I am not the most well known goddess, Shakespeare makes reference to me in his play, Romeo and Juliet.

No comments: