Monday, October 15, 2007

Psyche Bio


I am a maiden Psyche, meaning spirit or soul, born from a great king. I am the youngest of three daughters and I am married to Cupid, the god of love. My marriage to Cupid did not come about easily because of interference by my mother-in-law, Venus, whose jealously of my beauty and feelings that her status was threatened created much strife. I am a mortal, and because of that Cupid is not allowed to show his face to me. He and I can only see one another during the night with my agreement not to look at him directly. My curiosity once caused me to break this rule when I snuck in on him during the night and glimpsed at his face. He awoke and caught me looking which caused me to spill oil from my lamp onto his arm. Cupid left me and fled to stay with his mother. I could not bear the thought of living without him and yet feared the idea of facing the anger of Venus for what I had done. I was determined to spend the rest of my life searching for him. I had to face the wrath of Venus who forced many challenging tasks upon me to punish me for my actions. My only hope of getting back in her good grace was to complete each impossible task. The types of challenges I faced were to fetch golden wool from fierce sheep and to obtain black water from the river Styx. These tasks were only accomplished with the help of others who were there to help me find my lost love. Once Cupid’s arm was healed he longed to be with me and came to find me. With the help of Jupiter, king of the gods, I was granted immortality which made it possible for me to marry Cupid at last. Even Venus approved because I had successfully proven my worthiness and now had immortality and finding my true love made my soul complete.

No comments: