Saturday, October 13, 2007

Calypso Bio



Hello there, my name is Calypso, goddess of silence. I am a sea nymph or naiad, and the daughter of the titan Atlas. I live on the island of Ogygia (modern day Gozo). One mythical story of myself is my fling with Odysseus. He was shipwrecked, and you see, I am known for being extremely lonely and bored so I was ready for some excitement. I kept him on my island for seven years of my own personal pleasure. I promised him immortality if he stayed. But you see, Odysseus did not love me. He longed for his rightful wife Penelope, but Hermes warned him that if he did not share my love he would be struck down by the powerful gods. The result was a son called Nausinous. I figured out that Odysseus was strongly attracted to my by night, but wept by the shore for his home and family by day. No thanks to Athena, Zeus eventually intervened and sent Hermes down to persuade me to let Odysseus go. Because Zeus is the lord of the gods, I could not defy him, although I wanted to. Odysseus left and returned to his homeland of Ithaca to be with Penelope. As a parting gift, I gave him a brand new ship filled with presents for himself and his family. I ordered the winds to blow favorably so that he could return home safely. I watched his ship depart and then dragged myself back to the cypress groves of Ogygia. Eventually I passed away from grief of losing my one love, however, if on some wintry day you gaze out towards Ramala Bay to look at the waves rollings along the deserted beach, you might just sense the mysterious presence of a lovesick goddess longing for her lost lover.

No comments: