Friday, October 12, 2007

Orpheus' Bio


I go by several names and titles. Some call me Chief of poets. Others call me the "Father of Songs." I am also called Ibycus by the poet Homer, but I most frequently go by the name of Orpheus. My story is one filled with triumph and depression, success and heartbreak. Perhaps my greatest journey was with Jason and the Argonauts. I was the group's musician, reinvigorating them with my music every time they got tired from rowing the Argo. Eventually we had reached the Sirens' rocky islands. When the sailors began to sail the ship towards the deadly shores, I began to play music so beautiful it overcame the Sirens' song. When the expedition was over and I was safely ashore, I encountered the beautiful Eurydice. I immediately fell in love with her and asked her to marry me. She could not say no to such an excellent poet and musician. Shortly after our wedding however she encountered a nest of snakes and was killed when those beasts-most-foul poisoned her with their venom soaked fangs. I was overcome with depression. I played the most depressing and beautiful songs ever heard. The songs were so sad, all the nymphs and gods cried. On their advice I went to the Underworld to talk to the fair and just Hades. I played my mournful music through the dark realm and reached the Dark King unchallenged. My music even made him cry. He gave me one chance. He told me to leave his realm and never come back. He told me that as I was leaving sweet Eurydice would be following me. He also told me to never look back for her until we were out the his domain. So I walked. And I walked, until I reached the exit and the Upperworld. I turned back to look for my love, but it was too soon, she was still in the cavernous abyss. She simply said, "Goodbye," and was gone. I now wander the world playing my even more mournful music, my only companions being the trees and rocks I pass by. I have seen much of the world. But it is no where near as beautiful without love.

No comments: