Sunday, October 14, 2007

Demeter

You may know me as the goddess of agriculture, or maybe just Demeter. Either way, I decide what plants and when plants grow throughout the year. You see, a few thousand years ago, my daughter Persephone was taking a stroll in the garden with her friends when a path of narcissus caught her eye. As she was making her way down the trail solo, Hades popped up and took my dear Persephone down to the Underworld with him. I tired over and over again to get her back, but a negotiation could only be made by her father, Zeus. He made a deal with the evil Hades which stated that my daughter would be in Underworld for a little over four months and with me for the rest of the year. For those months that she is in the Underworld serving to Hades as his queen, I am lonely and saddened. I do not allow any of the plants to grow or be beautiful because I am never in the mood to take care of them all. However, when I am with Persephone for the eight or so other months, I am full of joy and excitement. This is the time when I allow the plants and flowers to be healthy and flaunt their fine colors and shapes. I am currently in an excellent mood because my Persephone is outside of the window everyday smelling and picking the stunning flowers that I have allowed to grow just for her. Sometimes, I go outdoors with her to make sure that all of the floras are doing well. When the days are as beautiful as these, I know that I will be comforted by her presence for not much longer because Hades makes everything that is good come to an end. Year after year, I grow the plants and then destroy them and then bring them back to life once again. I only do this routine each year for my daughter in the hoping that she knows how much I miss her and that I am always thinking about her and counting down the days until I meet with her lovely and peaceful soul again.


This is the time of the year when I am
missing Persephone and am miserable
by myself

No comments: