Sunday, October 14, 2007

Leto's Bio

Hail, kind beings, I am Leto. To the Romans I am Latona, however, most call me “Bright One.” I am the daughter of the mighty Titan, Coeus, and my dear mother, Phoebe. Since I was born in Kos, I have always been worshiped because of my pure love for all mortal and immortal beings especially my divine twins, Artemis and Apollo. My devotion to my beautiful children took me to the ends of the earth searching for a secure place to deliver them. My epic tale begins with one hero, just one simple name: Zeus.

Zeus loved me, well Zeus loved all women, but with me there was something different. His love for me was even superior to that of his own wife, Hera. I was never one for conflict and I would much rather have peace between the Olympians, however Hera’s envy was strong and by the time I was pregnant with Zeus’s twins, she was prepared for vengeance. I could tell from the beginning that this would not be an easy childbirth; Hera made it almost impossible for me to bear my heavenly children anywhere safe. I journeyed from Crete to Phocaea and far beyond Asia Minor in search of a safe spot for Artemis and Apollo’s birth. As time went on, Hera increased her traps, going as far as sending the terrible beast, Python, to trap and destroy my unborn twins and me.

Finally, having enough of his wife’s resentment, Zeus sent the North Wind to guide me to Poseidon’s ocean floor, and find the island of Delos (Ortygia). The island came into existence many years ago, when Zeus tried to seduce my glorious sister, Asteria. With the only force she had left, Asteria hurled herself into the sea and became Delos. Poseidon led me onto my sister’s land, the only place protected enough to deliver my children. Exhausted from my seemingly endless journey I clutched the branches of an old olive tree and gave birth. First, to the spectacular Artemis, bearer of the moon's silver bow, and goddess of the wild. Then, subsequently to the great Apollo, god of light and music and bearer of the sun's curved bow. To this day, I am worshiped all across the earth, mostly in Lycice, where statues rise over the lands telling the story of my epic quest to protect my children.

No comments: