Sunday, October 14, 2007

Perseus bio

Hello. I have conquered the impossible. I have saved my family from danger. I have found true love. My name is Perseus, and I am the son of Danae and Zeus. I have the protection and help of the gods, and I will do anything to protect those that I love.
My child hood was a tragic one. My grandfather, King Acrisius of Argos, learned from the priestess in Delphi that his daughter would bear a son that would one day slay him. My mother was shut away, and when I was born I was kept a secret. As soon as my existence was known, I was placed with my mother in a great chest by my grandfather and thrown into the sea. There my mother cradled me as the waves toppled over us. Finally we reached land, but we were still locked in the walls of the great chest. If it was luck, or my father Zeus watching over me, I do not know. Whichever it was, a fisherman saw the chest and freed us. This man, whose name was Dictys, treated us like family and was the reason for my survival. The kind fisherman had a brother, who was King of the land. His name was Polydectes, and he was a cruel man. When I was a young man, King Polydectes resolved that he would marry my mother. My mother did not love him, nor wish to marry him. Determined to win the hand of my mother, Polydectes held a great celebration. All brought gifts, as is the custom in the land. I had nothing I could bring. However, Polydectes had once stated that he greatly desired the head of Medusa. I resolved to bring Polydectes this prize. I know now that Polydectes was baiting me, as he wanted my mother, and did not want me around. But I was young and proud, and I spoke without thought of consequences.
I began my quest by venturing to Greece. There I met with priestesses and asked for help with my quest. The priestesses told tell me to go to a land where “they do not eat Demeter’s golden grain only acorns.” So, I went to the land of the oak trees, a place called Dodona. In Dodona, I met the gods Hermes and Athena. Both gave me extraordinary gifts. A shield and a sword, both like no other on Earth. Hermes took me further to meet the gray sisters. These women were gray with their age, and were the most wretched I had ever seen. They only had one eye that was shared between the three of them. With the help of Hermes cleverness, we devised a plan to snatch the eye. We were successful, and the sisters were desperate for their precious eye back. We bargained the return of the eye for directions to the northern nymphs, which they rendered without hesitation.
With Hermes as my guide I could not go astray. We made it to the northern land, and found the nymphs. There, I received the materials that would be essential to obtain the head of Medusa. They bestowed upon me winged sandals, a magic wallet, and an invisibility cap. Leaving the nymphs, I went to find the island on which Medusa and her sisters lived. When I arrived there, I was happy to find them all asleep. This made my task easier. I knew not to look upon them, even as they slept, knowing I would be turned to stone. Using the reflection in my shield, I found the throat of Medusa, and quickly cut it. I took the head, and carefully placed my prize in my wallet, careful not to look upon it even in death. The other sisters awakened, but were not able to see me for I wore my invisibility cap. Quickly, I escaped the island and was on my way home.
Flying with the aid of my winged sandals, I saw the most beautiful woman I have ever cast eyes upon. She was on a rocky ledge, chained as a sacrifice to a fearful sea serpent that was terrorizing the people of her country Ethiopia. Her name was Andromeda, and I was so struck by her beauty, I had to save her. With my sword, I defeated the serpent, cutting its head from its body just like I defeated Medusa. I then asked Queen Cassiopeia and King Cepheus, Andromeda's parents, for her lovely hand in marriage. Without hesitation, they gladly gave her to me.
I then returned to my home. There I learned Polydectes still fancied my mother, and was furious that she refused to marry him. I learned my mother took refuge living in a Temple. I resolved this could last no longer. I went to a banquet Polydectes was hosting with all of his followers. Once they all saw me, I took out the head I ventured to get. With the power of Medusa’s head in my hand, all of my family’s enemies were turned to statues of stone in the very moment their gaze fell upon me. With Polydectes dead, my mother and I returned to my birthplace. We went to see if the many years of us being gone had softened my grandfather’s heart. When we arrived, we discovered that my grandfather was long since driven out of the city. We also learned that the new king was hosting an athletic competition. I joined the event of discus, and accidentally threw the deadly disc into the crowd, where it pierced and killed my grandfather.
My love Andromeda and I had a child, named Electryon. Together we live happily and full of love. I gave the deadly head of Medusa to Athena, who placed it forever on the aegis, the battle shield of Zeus, which she carries. Perhaps someday, there will be other heroes in my family.

No comments: